Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Playing Catch-up, Part 2

Moving into last week we will continue the montage. Tuesday was the Member-Guest golf tournament for the ladies. Since it is the ladies league, and we like to have more fun, there was a theme to the evening. What is that you say? A theme...an excuse to dress up...and decorate the golf carts! Whoo hoo! Finally golf is fun again! My partner, Andrea, and I chose Germany because it's fun to golf dressed like Oktoberfest barmaids. Enjoy the results of our labor!Our decorated cart. And, yes, we made the flags ourselves.
Andrea and I getting ready to go.It turns out that not everyone is as into dressing up as I am. Weird, huh? These are the other groups who actually put some effort into dressing up. There was another couple that wore giant Twinkie costumes, but didn't golf in them so I don't think it counts. (The one in the kilt is my friend Susan)Who says you can't golf in a skirt!? Look at that amazing form!

By Wednesday I was on my way to Chadron, NE. While there I visited the Museum of the Fur Trade. It was actually pretty cool, but we all know how I love to visit random roadside museums. It even had some old buildings that used to be part of the actual trading post. I'm not sure how traders actually found the outposts, but they seemed to have made it work.
This is an Eskimo 'rainsuit' made from otter intestines. Now I want to know who was the first person to look at an otter and think rain gear.

On the way home I swung through Alliance, NE to visit the very famous Carhenge. If you have never heard of this amazing roadside stop, I suggest you check it out. It was getting too dark to read any of the explanation boards, but apparently somebody thought it would be cool to stack, bury, and paint a bunch of classic cars. And they were right!
The week ended with an all day softball tournament and afternoon BBQ and slip n slide. The festivities were cut short when a crazy hail storm came through Windsor. The golf-ball size hail forced everyone inside and quickly covered everything in white. When confronted with a bunch of slush in August what else is there to do but make a hailman. Allow me to introduce Ned the Hailman and his friend Copper Frog.

No comments:

Post a Comment