Monday, April 26, 2010

I love spring...

Last year was our first attempt at a garden and it worked out pretty well. This year we got a little more ambitious and started our plants from seeds. The sugar snaps and tomatoes really took off and I had to transplant them to larger containers. Even the edamame and marigolds are doing well. The sweet peppers and poblanos are taking a little longer, but are finally breaking the soil top. I can't wait til Memorial weekend when I can finally plant them in the garden outside!!

I planted tulips last fall as well and they are coming up beautifully! I hope to add in some daffodils for next spring.

These tulips came with the house and are growing out of the base of a huge rose of sharon. My next fall experiment will be to try and transplant them to a new location.
We also are trying composting this year. We just bought a compost box from Sam's Club. However, we need leaves to get it started and since we only have one little tree I'm thinking we might have to go ransack the local park...or just use grass clippings :-)
While Brian called me a weirdo, he still took this picture of me being compostable. What a good husband!!




3 comments:

  1. Nice! We will definitely take some of your plants off your hands...if you have extra< like your romas, and lemon-lime basil (maybe peas too) what else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Michelle you guys can definitely have some Romas...I have like 21 seedlings that are taking off!! Plenty of basil and peas too :-)

    ReplyDelete